Awesome Dotfiles Overview
A curated list of dotfiles resources.
🏠 Home · 🔥 Feed · 📮 Subscribe · ❤️ Sponsor · 😺 webpro/awesome-dotfiles · ⭐ 7.5K · 🏷️ Development Environment
[ Daily / Weekly / Overview ]
A curated list of dotfiles resources. Inspired by the awesome (⭐234k) list thing. Note that some articles or tools may look old or old-fashioned, but this usually means they're battle-tested and mature (like dotfiles themselves). Feel free to propose new articles, projects or tools!
- Getting started with dotfiles (L. Kappert)
- Getting started with dotfiles (D. Vints)
- Managing your dotfiles
- Dotfiles Are Meant to Be Forked
- Dotfile discovery
- I do Dotfiles!
- Setting up a new (OS X) development machine: Part 3 - Dotfiles and custom SSH config
- Setting Up a Mac Dev Machine From Zero to Hero With Dotfiles; Part 2
- Using Git and GitHub to manage your dotfiles
- conf.d like directories for zsh/bash dotfiles
- Managing your dotfiles
- The best way to store your dotfiles: A bare Git repository
- Dotfiles Management
Using specific tools
- Using GNU Stow to manage your dotfiles
- Managing Dotfile Symlinks with GNU Stow
- Dotfiles and dev tools provisioned by Ansible
- Manage a development machine with Ansible
Find dotfiles repos
There are many great dotfiles repos out there, each containing their own inspiration and gems. One way to go through them is to search GitHub for "dotfiles".
- Google for "dotfiles"
- Archlinux collection
- Tip: search for a filename on GitHub, e.g. in:path .gitconfig.
Example dotfiles repos
A collection of the most popular, well-maintained, and collaborative dotfiles repositories & frameworks. Some projects contain just the dotfiles. Others go further by allowing you to easily add your own custom dotfiles, and some include scripts to manage dotfiles and plugins.
|Bash it (⭐13k)||Community bash framework.||Autocompletion, themes, aliases, custom functions. Well-structured framework.|
|Mathias’s dotfiles (⭐29k)||Sensible hacker defaults for macOS||Lots of goodness here, great collaborative community effort.|
|Maximum Awesome (⭐5.7k)||Config files for vim and tmux||Vim, tmux. Built for Mac OS X.|
|webpro's dotfiles (⭐921)||macOS dotfiles||Bash, Homebrew, Brew Cask, Git, Node.js, Hammerspoon.|
|rootbeersoup's dotfiles (⭐62)||Effortless Bash, Vim and macOS configuration||A
|Luke's voidrice (⭐3.9k)||Arch linux dotfile bootstrap||Bloatless, often suckless software. Vim config for editing documents in markdown or latex|
|thoughtbot dotfiles (⭐7.5k)||Set of vim, zsh, git, and tmux configuration files||Zsh, vim, tmux, git, homebrew. Uses rcm (⭐2.9k).|
|oh-my-zsh||Community-driven framework for managing your zsh configuration.||Includes 200+ optional plugins (rails, git, OSX, hub, capistrano, brew, ant, php, python, etc), over 140 themes to spice up your morning, and an auto-update tool.|
|Prezto (⭐13k)||The configuration framework for Zsh.||Enriches the command line interface environment with sane defaults, aliases, functions, auto completion, and prompt themes.|
|Dries's dotfiles (⭐1.8k)||Simplified approach to dotfiles for macOS||Zsh, Oh My Zsh, macOS, Homebrew, Mackup|
|sobolevn's dotfiles (⭐551)||Dotfiles for the developer happiness||Zsh, Brew, Sublime, Python, Node, Elixir|
|oh-my-fish (⭐9.1k)||Community Fish framework.||Includes many plugins and themes, with installation, auto-update, and scaffolding tools.|
|Paul's dotfiles (⭐4k)||Abundant dotfiles with a plethora of cool custom functions||Fish, macOS, Homebrew, Custom Shell functions|
|rkalis's dotfiles (⭐214)||Well-maintained dotfiles featuring Fish, repository management and Hammerspoon||Fish, macOS, Homebrew, Repository management, Hammerspoon|
|.dots (⭐63)||New and upgraded dotfiles, now with Ansible!||Completely automated desktop setup, configuration and maintenance using Ansible|
|sloria's dotfiles (⭐137)||sloria's dotfiles as Ansible roles||Sets up a full local development environment with a single command|
- Ansible - Radically simple configuration-management, application deployment, task-execution, and multinode orchestration engine.
- bashdot (⭐95) - Minimalist dotfile management framework written entirely in bash.
- chezmoi (⭐8.3k) - Manage your dotfiles securely across multiple machines.
- comtrya (⭐272) - Configuration management for localhost, written in Rust, for Linux, BSD, macOS, and Windows
- dotbare (⭐549) - Manage dotfiles interactively with fzf.
- dotbot (⭐5.9k) - Tool that bootstraps your dotfiles.
- dotdrop (⭐1.5k) - Save your dotfiles once, deploy them everywhere.
- Fisher (⭐6.3k) - A package manager for Fish
- fresh - Keep your dotfiles fresh. Fresh is a tool to source shell configuration (aliases, functions, etc) from others into your own configuration files.
- GNU Stow - Symlink farm manager which takes distinct packages of software and/or data located in separate directories on the filesystem, and makes them appear to be installed in the same place.
- homeshick (⭐1.9k) - Git dotfile synchronizer written in Bash.
- mackup (⭐13k) - Keep your application settings in sync (OS X/Linux).
- Pearl (⭐203) - Package manager that allows to control, sync, share dotfiles as packages automatically activated during shells or editors startup. There is a wide range of packages already available in the Official Pearl Hub (for Linux and OSX).
- rcm (⭐2.9k) - rc file (dotfile) management.
- themer (⭐5k) - Manage and generate themes across your development tools from within your dotfiles.
- toml-bombadil (⭐131) - Templatize and manage your dotfiles.
- yadm (⭐3.8k) - Tool for managing a collection of files across multiple computers, using a shared Git repository and some additional features.
- dockutil (⭐1.2k) - Command line tool for managing dock items
- mas (⭐9.5k) - Mac App Store command line interface
- zero (⭐225) - Radically simple personal bootstrapping tool for macOS.
- dotfiles.github.io - Your unofficial guide to dotfiles on GitHub.
- Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Directory structure and directory contents in Linux distributions.
- XDG Base Directory Specification - Summary
- A lesson in shortcuts - How the idea of "hidden" or "dot" files was born, by Rob Pike (originally posted on Google+)
- Awesome Dev Env (⭐2.4k) - Curated list of awesome tools, resources and workflow tips making an awesome development environment.
- Awesome Fish (⭐3.3k) - Curated list of packages, prompts, and resources for the fish shell.
- Awesome Shell (⭐26k) - Curated list of awesome command-line frameworks, toolkits, guides and gizmos.
- Awesome Sysadmin (⭐16k) - A curated list of amazingly awesome open source sysadmin resources.
- Awesome Zsh Plugins (⭐12k) - List of Zsh plugins suitable for use with oh-my-zsh, antigen & Prezto.
- Terminals Are Sexy (⭐11k) - A curated list of Terminal frameworks, plugins & resources for CLI lovers.
- Bashstrap (⭐1.6k)
- battleschool (⭐417)
- Bork (⭐222)
- Cider (⭐846)
- dev-setup (⭐5.9k)
- dotfiles (⭐555)
- dotstow (⭐92)
- Eduardo's dotfiles (⭐420)
- ellipsis (⭐347)
- emplace (⭐203)
- holman does dotfiles (⭐6.8k)
- homesick (⭐2.4k)
- Kevin's dotfiles (⭐115)
- kody (⭐134)
- OS X Defaults (⭐1.1k)
- vcsh (⭐2k) (article, article)
To the extent possible under law, Lars Kappert has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.