Terraform enables you to safely and predictably create, change, and improve production infrastructure. It is an open source tool that codifies APIs into declarative configuration files that can be shared amongst team members, treated as code, edited, reviewed, and versioned.
- Official Resources
- Tutorials and Blog Posts
- Community Modules
- Private Module Registries
- Terraform Enterprise
- Editor Plugins
- Not compatible with terraform >= 0.12
- Hashicorp Terraform Blog
- Introduction to Terraform
- Terraform Documentation
- Terraform GitHub Actions
- Terraform learn
- weekly.tf - Terraform Weekly Newsletter - Various news in the Terraform world (projects, announcements, discussions).
- Complete Terraform documentation as PDF files (Updated nightly)
- Terraform AWS Modules + meta-configurations repository
- Terraform Bug Tracker
- Terraform Community Modules
- Terraform Gitter
- Terraform Discuss
- Terraform Provider/Module Registry
- Terraform PDF Doc
- Terragrunt Reference Architecture
- Big Little Book On Terraform
- Bootstrapping Microservices with Docker, Kubernetes, and Terraform.
- Deep-Dive Terraform on Azure
- Getting Started with Terraform, 2nd ed.
- HashiCorp Infrastructure Automation Certification Guide
- Infrastructure as Code
- Patterns and Practices for Infrastructure as Code: With examples in Python and Terraform
- Terraform Best Practices - open-source ebook
- Terraform Cookbook
- Terraform in Action
- Terraform: Up & Running, 2nd ed.
- The Terraform Book
- A Comprehensive Guide to Terraform - Series of blog posts from the author of "Terraform: Up & Running" that guide the reader from beginning with Terraform to using it in the real world.
- Using Terraform for Cloud Deployments - Part 1 - Provisioning an EC2 instance.
- Hello, world: The Fargate/Terraform tutorial I wish I had - Blog post describing setting up an ECS Fargate cluster from scratch
- Creating custom terraform providers - Guide for creating custom providers.
- Writing a Terraform provider - Guide for creating custom providers.
- Writing Custom Providers - Official documentation for creating custom providers.
- How To Write OPA for Terraform - How to use Open Policy Agent to evaluate and enforce policy on your Terraform plans
- Deploying Discourse with Terraform - Shows how Terraform can create a running instance of Discourse on DigitalOcean in one command.
- Deploying Django to AWS ECS with Terraform - Looks at how to use Terraform to spin up the required AWS infrastructure for running a Django app on ECS.
- Easily Deploy A Seneca Microservice to ECS with Wercker and Terraform: Part I, II & III - Illustrates how Terraform can be incorporated into a microservice deployment pipeline.
- Terraform for a Highly Available VPN between AWS and Azure - Terraform code to deploy a highly available VPN between AWS and Azure.
- Terraforming 1Password - How 1Password migrated from CloudFormation to Terraform.
- Tutorial: How to Use Terraform to Deploy OpenStack Workloads - Illustrates how easy it is to use the OpenStack Terraform provider to deploy a web server.
- Zero Downtime Updates with HashiCorp Terraform - Ensuring zero downtime of your infrastructure.
- Terraform Design Patterns: the Terrafile - Managing Terraform modules and their versions within Terraform projects with Terrafile.
- Terraform, VPC, and why you want a tfstate file per env - Some gotchas surrounding using Terraform in large projects with multiple environments and how to avoid them.
- Using Pipelines to Manage Environments with Infrastructure as Code - Explains different approaches for building a pipeline to handle infrastructure changes moving from one environment to the next.
- Learning HashiCorp Terraform - Guide for Azure.
- New Terraform Azure Automation Resources - Azure Automation.
- Terraforming Azure PaaS - Deploy PaaS Resources on Azure.
- AWS Lambda the Terraform Way - Understand AWS Lambda in-depth, beyond executing functions, using Terraform. Also includes guides for integration with S3, API Gateway, DynamoDB, Kinesis, SQS.
- Sharing data between Terraform configurations - Illustrates how to use remote state to share data between Terraform configurations.
- The Segment AWS Stack - Shows the behind the scenes of the infrastructure powered by Terraform that solved The Million Dollar Engineering Problem at Segment.
- Top 3 Terraform Testing Strategies for Ultra-Reliable Infrastructure-as-Code
- Two Weeks with Terraform - Some hard-earned experience from using Terraform in the wild, and some operational wisdom.
- Terraform: Beyond the Basics with AWS - Explanation of a demo using Terraform to provision a sample AWS architecture.
- Terraform cost estimation - Anonymized, secure, and free Terraform cost estimation based on Terraform plan (0.12+) or Terraform state (any version).
For more Community Modules not listed here please see the Terraform Module Registry.
- rancher-terraform-digitalocean - Rancher server on digitalocean.
- segmentio/stack - Configures production infrastructure with AWS, Docker, and ECS.
- terraform-aws-alb - Creates Application load-balancer on AWS (verified module).
- terraform-aws-appconfig - Creates AWS AppConfig resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-atlantis - Creates Terraform configurations for running Atlantis on AWS Fargate. Github, Gitlab and BitBucket are supported.
- terraform-aws-autoscaling - Creates Auto-Scaling Groups and Launch Configurations (verified module).
- terraform-aws-customer-gateway - Creates Customer Gateway on AWS.
- terraform-aws-datadog-forwarders - Creates resources on AWS to forward logs/metrics to Datadog.
- terraform-aws-dms - Creates AWS DMS (Database Migration Service) resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-dynamodb-table - Creates DynamoDB table on AWS.
- terraform-aws-ec2-instance - Creates EC2 instances on AWS.
- terraform-aws-ecr - Manages Docker container registries on AWS ECR.
- terraform-aws-ecs - Creates AWS ECS resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-efs - Defines an EFS Filesystem.
- terraform-aws-eks - Creates Elastic Kubernetes Service on AWS (very popular module).
- terraform-aws-elb - Creates Elastic load-balancer on AWS (verified module).
- terraform-aws-eventbridge - Creates EventBridge resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-jenkins-ha-agents - EC2 Based Jenkins deployment with HA (spot) agents. Runs on EFS for immutability. Fully customizeable, with sensible defaults.
- terraform-aws-jenkins - Build a Docker image with Jenkins, saves it to an ECR repo, and deploys it to Elastic Beanstalk running a Docker stack.
- terraform-aws-key-pair - Automatically Generate SSH Key Pairs (Public/Private Keys).
- terraform-aws-lambda - Terraform module, which builds dependencies and packages, and also creates AWS Lambda resources in countless combinations.
- terraform-aws-lambda-auto-package - A terraform module to define a lambda function which source files are automatically built and packaged for lambda deployment.
- terraform-aws-managed-service-prometheus - Creates AWS Managed Service for Prometheus (AMP) resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-modules - Collection of Terraform AWS modules supported by the community (includes official AWS modules).
- terraform-aws-msk-kafka-cluster - Creates AWS MSK (Managed Streaming for Kafka) resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-notify-slack - Creates SNS topic and Lambda function which sends notifications to Slack.
- terraform-aws-postgresql-rds - Creates PostgreSQL on RDS.
- terraform-aws-rds - Creates RDS resources on AWS (verified module).
- terraform-aws-rds-aurora - Creates RDS Aurora cluster resources on AWS (verified module).
- terraform-aws-rds-proxy - Creates AWS RDS Proxy resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-redshift - Creates Redshift resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-route53 - Creates Route53 resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-secure-baseline - Set up your AWS account with the secure baseline configuration based on CIS Amazon Web Services Foundations.
- terraform-aws-security-group - Creates EC2-VPC security groups on AWS (verified module).
- terraform-aws-ssh-bastion-service - Terraform plan to deploy ssh bastion as a stateless service on AWS.
- terraform-aws-s3-bucket - Creates S3 bucket resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-transit-gateway - Creates Transit Gateway resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-vpc - Creates VPC resources on AWS (verified and very popular module).
- terraform-aws-vpn-gateway - Creates VPN gateway resources on AWS.
- terraform-azurerm-aks - Create AKS resources on Azure.
- terraform-azurerm-iis - Install IIS Server on Azure VM instance.
- terraform-azurerm-mysql - Create MySql Database on Azure.
- terraform-azurerm-redis - Create Redis on Azure.
- terraform-azurerm-sqlserver - Create SQl Server Database on Azure.
- terraform-cloudflare-maintenance - Module to create a Maintenance Page using Cloudflare Workers.
- terraform-digitalocean-droplet - Terraform module for managing DigitalOcean Droplets and related resources.
- terraform-ecs-jenkins - Provisions Jenkins on AWS ECS using Terraform.
- terraform-google-project-factory - Opinionated Google Cloud Platform project creation and configuration with Shared VPC, IAM, APIs, etc.
- terraform-linode-k8s - Installs Kubernetes on Linode Instances.
- terraform-static-website-s3-cloudfront - Creates static websites on AWS S3 & Cloudfront based on variables.
- tf_aws_bastion_s3_keys - Creates bastion hosts on AWS EC2.
- anthology - Private Terraform registry implementation as an alternative to the official registry.
- citizen - Private Terraform Module Registry
- modulehub - Private Terraform Module Registry and State backend.
- terraform-simple-registry - Simple implementation of the Terraform registry protocols.
- terraform-registry - Serve terraform provider registry backed by GitHub releases.
- terraform-provider-alicloud - Plugin for Alibaba Cloud.
- terraform-provider-aws - Plugin for Amazon Web Services.
- terraform-provider-azurerm - Plugin for Microsoft Azure.
- terraform-provider-azuredevops - Provider for Azure DevOps (VSTS).
- terraform-provider-buildkite - Plugin for Buildkite.
- terraform-provider-checkly - Manage Checkly resources for API & E2E monitoring.
- terraform-provider-datadog - Plugin for Datadog.
- terraform-provider-digitalocean - Plugin for DigitalOcean.
- terraform-provider-docker - Plugin for Docker.
- terraform-provider-dominos - Provider for Dominos Pizza.
- terraform-provider-github - Plugin for GitHub.
- terraform-provider-gitlab - Plugin for GitLab.
- terraform-provider-google - Plugin for Google Cloud Platform.
- terraform-provider-graphql - Plugin for GraphQL queries and mutations.
- terraform-provider-hcloud - Plugin for Hetzner Cloud.
- terraform-provider-healthchecksio - Provider to manage healthchecks.io resources.
- terraform-provider-helm - Plugin for Helm.
- terraform-provider-heroku - Plugin for Heroku.
- terraform-provider-ibm - Plugin for IBM Cloud.
- terraform-provider-k8s - Simple Kubernetes Provider, works with any manifest.
- terraform-provider-keycloak - Provider to manage the settings of your Keycloak identity provider server.
- terraform-provider-kubernetes - Plugin for Kubernetes.
- terraform-provider-linode - Plugin for Linode.
- terraform-provider-openstack - Plugin for OpenStack.
- terraform-provider-pingdom - Provider to manage Pingdom resources.
- terraform-provider-rancher2 - Provider for Rancher v2.
- terraform-provider-secrethub - Provider for SecretHub.
- terraform-provider-snowflake - Provider for Snowflake data warehouse.
- terraform-provider-spinnaker - Manage Spinnaker applications and pipelines with Terraform.
- terraform-provider-spotinst - Devops automation platform for AWS, Azure, GCP.
- terraform-provider-stripe - Provider for Stripe.
- terraform-provider-ucloud - Provider to manage UCloud resources.
- terraform-provider-uptimerobot - Provider to manage uptimerobot resources.
- terraform-provider-vaulted - Encrypted HashiCorp Vault secrets via Terraform that can be stored in SCM such as Git.
- terraform-provider-vsphere - Plugin for VMware vSphere.
- kitchen-terraform - Provides a set of Test Kitchen plugins which enable a system to use Test Kitchen to converge a Terraform configuration and verify the resulting Terraform state with InSpec controls.
- rspec-terraform - RSpec tests for your Terraform modules.
- terraform-compliance - BDD Testing for Terraform Files.
- terraform_validate - Assists in the enforcement of user-defined standards in Terraform.
- terratest - Terratest is a Go library that makes it easier to write automated tests for your infrastructure code.
- clarity - A declarative test framework for Terraform for unit testing.
AirIAM - AirIAM is a tool for AWS IAM to least privilege Terraform execution framework.
astro - Astro is a tool for managing multiple Terraform executions as a single command.
atlantis - Unified workflow for collaborating on Terraform through GitHub.
aztfy - A tool to bring existing Azure resources under Terraform's management.
blast radius - Interactive visualizations of Terraform dependency graphs.
Checkov - Terraform static analysis tool for terraform>=0.12
Cloudrail - Terraform and Live Cloud context-based analysis tool for terraform>=0.12
driftctl - Detect, track and alert on infrastructure drift
flora - Terraform version manager.
fogg - A tool for eliminating toil in managing terraform repositories.
former2 - Generate terraform configuration from your existing resources within your AWS account.
gaia - A web application to import and run your Terraform modules.
hcldump - Dump the HCL (v2) abstract syntax tree.
hcledit - A command line editor for HCL.
hclgrep - Syntax based grep for HCL(v2).
iam-policy-json-to-terraform - Small tool to convert an IAM Policy in JSON format into a Terraform aws_iam_policy_document
k2tf - Kubernetes YAML to Terraform HCL converter.
KICS - Scans IaC projects for security vulnerabilities, compliance issues, and infrastructure misconfiguration. Currently working with Terraform projects, Kubernetes manifests, Dockerfiles, AWS CloudFormation Templates, and Ansible playbooks.
Infracost - Cloud cost estimates for Terraform in your CLI and pull requests.
inframap - Read your tfstate or HCL to generate a graph specific for each provider, showing only the resources that are most important/relevant.
json2hcl - Convert JSON to HCL and vice versa.
para - The missing 3rd-party plugin manager and a "swiss army knife" for Terraform/Terragrunt - just 1 tool to facilitate all workflows.
pre-commit-terraform - pre-commit git hooks to take care of Terraform configurations (auto-format, validate, update docs).
python-terrafile - Systematically manage external modules from Github for use in Terraform.
regula - Evaluates Terraform infrastructure-as-code for potential AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud security misconfigurations and compliance violations prior to deployment.
rover - Interactive Terraform state and configuration explorer.
ruby-terraform - Simple Ruby wrapper for invoking terraform commands.
scenery - Another Terraform plan output prettifier.
scratchrelaxtv - Simple Python tool to help with module development - extract vars from
variables.tfand make module usage stub from
serverless.tf - Doing serverless with Terraform - serverless.tf is an opinionated open-source framework for developing, building, deploying, and securing serverless applications and infrastructures on AWS using Terraform. Read more.
Shisho - Lightweight static analyzer for Terraform.
tads-boilerplate - The power of Ansible and Terraform + the simplicity of Docker Swarm = Infrastructure as Code and DevOps best practices.
tau - Tau is a thin wrapper on top of terraform to manage multiple deployments, dependencies and secrets.
terraboard - Web dashboard to inspect Terraform States.
terraboot - DSL to generate a terraform configuration and run it.
terracognita - Reads from existing Cloud Providers (reverse Terraform) and generates your infrastructure as code on Terraform configuration.
terracost - Cloud cost estimation for Terraform in your CLI.
TerraDepot Terraform state repository, based on the default http remote backend. Allows the central administration of tfstates on AWS S3.
terradozer - Terraform destroy without configuration files.
terrafile - Systematically manage external modules from Github for use in Terraform (written in Go).
terrafile - Systematically manage external modules from Github for use in Terraform (written in Ruby).
terraform-bundle - Easily builds bundles containing a Terraform binary as well as provider binaries. Useful for CI and air-gapped Terraform Enterprise.
terraform-cdk - CDK (Cloud Development Kit) for Terraform allows developers to use familiar programming languages to define cloud infrastructure and provision it through HashiCorp Terraform.
terraform-credentials-vault - A Terraform "credentials helper" plugin that allows providing credentials for Terraform-native services (private module registries, Terraform Cloud, etc) via environment variables.
terraform-docs - Quick utility to generate docs from terraform modules.
terraform-graph-beautifier - Command line tool allowing to convert the barely usable output of the terraform graph command to something more meaningful and explanatory.
terraform-landscape - (only 0.11 and earlier) Improve Terraform's plan output to be easier to read and understand.
terraform-operator - A Kubernetes CRD to handle Terraform operations.
terraform planand converting it to JSON.
terraform-provisioner - Tool for managing multiple provisions of the same Terraform scripts.
terraform-rake-tasks - Shared Rake tasks for managing terraform plans.
terraform.py - Ansible dynamic inventory script for parsing Terraform state files.
terraformer - CLI tool to generate terraform files from existing infrastructure. Infrastructure to Code. Supported many providers.
terraforming - Export existing AWS resources to Terraform style (tf, tfstate). Similar to
terraformize - Apply\Destroy Terraform modules via a simple REST API endpoint.
Terraform-Visual A simple but powerful tool to visualize Terraform plan.
terragrunt - Terragrunt is a thin wrapper for Terraform that provides extra tools for keeping your Terraform configurations DRY, working with multiple Terraform modules, and managing remote state.
terrahelp - Command line utility aimed at providing supplementary functionality which can sometimes prove useful when working with Terraform.
terrahub - TerraHub is terraform automation and orchestration tool. Seamlessly integrated into console.terrahub.io, enterprise friendly GUI to show realtime terraform executions, as well as auditing and reporting capabilities for historical terraform runs.