Awesome List Updates on Apr 02, 2018
8 awesome lists updated today.
🏠 Home · 🔍 Search · 🔥 Feed · 📮 Subscribe · ❤️ Sponsor
1. Awesome Hacking Locations
United States 🇺🇸 / Massachusetts
The Bun Shop
Loftlike, late-night cafe for filled buns like piroshki & empanadas, plus Vietnamese coffee. BYOB.
|✔||✔||239 W Read St, Baltimore, MD 21201||7 days 7am-3am|
2. Engineering Blogs
Companies / C companies
- Condé Nast https://technology.condenast.com/
3. Awesome Quantified Self
Applications and Platforms / Goals
- Taskade - Simple and sharable tasks, checklists, and notes. (Web, iOS & Android).
4. Awesome Dev Fun
- OnlyToday (⭐6) - A date and time based programming language.
5. Awesome Ffmpeg
- ffmpeg-probe (⭐10) - Wrapper around ffprobe for getting info about media files.
- ffmpeg-extract-frame (⭐13) - Extracts a single frame from a video.
- ffmpeg-extract-audio (⭐11) - Extracts an audio stream from a media file.
6. Awesome Transit
On-line courses / Ruby
- World Bank - "Intro. to GTFS" online course - A free, online, self-paced course for learning about GTFS and GTFS-realtime.
3rd party GTFS URL directories
- GTFS Data Exchange (Deprecated) - Formerly the definitive directory of GTFS feed URLs. Shutdown in 2016. But 93 GB of data from 2008 to 2016 is available upon request.
Transit agency data archives
- CapMetrics (⭐15) - Historical vehicle locations for Austin's transit agency (CapMetro). Data is collected by capmetricsd (⭐10), a Go daemon.
Proprietary (non-standard) vendor APIs
- Transport API - REST API for aggregated transit data for the United Kingdom. Fee-based access.
- TransLoc OpenAPI - REST API for real-time vehicle, route, stop, and arrival data for over 60 transit systems in the United States that have purchased TransLoc's AVL hardware and software.
- NextBus API - REST API for real-time vehicle, route, stop, and arrival data for agencies that have puchased NextBus's hardware and/or software.
- CityBikes - REST API for aggregated bikeshare data from around the world. Powered by pyBikes (⭐502).
Software for Creating APIs
- TransitClock - Java application that can consume raw vehicle positions and generate prediction times in formats such as GTFS-realtime. Formerly known as "Transitime".
Blog posts / Ruby
- When(ish) is my bus? Data and code (⭐44) - The data and code (R) behind Whenish is my bus? Data includes three days of historical vehicle positions and the survey results.
- "Legacy AVL system? It's okay, join the club." by Kurt Raschke - Discussion of options for transforming legacy AVL system data into the GTFS-realtime format.
- "GTFS Best Practices now available!" by Sean Barbeau - Discusses some of the challenges of an open data format like GTFS and the GTFS Best Practices that were launched in early 2017 to help address data quality.
- "What's new in GTFS-realtime v2.0" by Sean Barbeau - Discuss the shortfalls in GTFS-realtime v1.0 and the improvements in v2.0.
- "AVL, CAD, and Real-Time Passenger Info for Beginners" by Tony Laidig - Provides a general introduction to technology used to track vehicles.
Academic papers / Ruby
- Tang et al. - "Ridership effects of real-time bus information system: A case study in the City of Chicago" - Experiment in Chicago, IL showed modest increase in ridership when riders had access to real-time info via text message or email.
- Kay et al. - "When(ish) is my bus? User-centered Visualizations of Uncertainty in Everyday, Mobile Predictive Systems" - Paper attempts to answr the question of "how do we communicate uncertainty in transit predictions?" Explains the problem, existing solutions and designs a better interface for letting users know when to arrive at the bus stop (⭐44).
- Watkins et al. - "Where Is My Bus? Impact of mobile real-time information on the perceived and actual wait time of transit riders" - Experiments in Seattl,e WA showed that riders perceived shorter bus wait times when they had access to real-time info via mobile apps.
- Brakewood et al. - “An experiment evaluating the impacts of real-time transit information on bus riders in Tampa, Florida” - Controlled experiment in Tampa, FL showed that riders with access to real-time info via mobile apps perceived nearly 2 minute reduction in wait times compared to riders without real-time info. Riders with real-time info also had decreases in anxiety and frustration and better reception of agency.
- Brakewood et al. - "The impact of real-time information on bus ridership in New York City" - Experiment in NYC showed that ridership increased on long routes when real-time info was made available to riders.
Government reports / Ruby
- APTA Policy Development and Research - Public Transportation Embracing Open Data - APTA's discussion of the benefits and challenges of open transit data (a short summary of the below TCRP report).
7. Awesome Dotnet
Machine Learning and Data Science
- GeneticSharp (⭐1.1k) - Multi-platform genetic algorithm library for .NET Core and .NET Framework. The library has several implementations of GA operators, like: selection, crossover, mutation, reinsertion and termination.
8. Awesome Aws
- Prev: Apr 03, 2018
- Next: Apr 01, 2018