Track Awesome Decentralized Updates Daily
🕶 Awesome list of distributed, decentralized, p2p apps and tools 👍
🏠 Home · 🔍 Search · 🔥 Feed · 📮 Subscribe · ❤️ Sponsor · 😺 croqaz/awesome-decentralized · ⭐ 697 · 🏷️ Decentralized Systems
[ Daily / Weekly / Overview ]
Jul 12, 2023
- Fred (⭐908): Freenet REference Daemon. Also: freenetproject.org
- Keet: Peer to peer video & chat. Private & encrypted. Share huge files instantly.
- Netsukuku (⭐145): Netsukuku is an alternative to the internet; it will have all of the features of the internet, such as websites, instant messaging, file transfers, DNS, etc. It functions as a mesh network or a p2p net system that generates and sustains itself autonomously. It is designed to handle an unlimited number of nodes with minimal CPU and memory resources.
- NNTPChan (⭐48): NNTP based decentralized imageboard.
- SecuShare: A research project. Consider that it basically consists of a new Internet stack combined with a full-fledged distributed scalability alternative to cloud technology. Source code: https://gnunet.org/git/gnunet.git
- Hyphanet: Hyphanet is a peer-to-peer platform for censorship-resistant and privacy-respecting publishing and communication. The original Freenet.
- GNUnet: GNUnet is a network protocol stack for building secure, distributed, and privacy-preserving applications. The Internet of tomorrow needs GNUnet today.
- Gun (⭐17k): A cybersecurity protocol for syncing decentralized graph data; GUN is an ecosystem of tools that let you build community run and encrypted applications - like an Open Source Firebase or a Decentralized Dropbox.
Jun 06, 2023
- Ferment ☠️ ☠️: P2P audio publishing and streaming application. Like SoundCloud but decentralized. Built using SSB + Webtorrent.
Apr 27, 2023
- m-ld: A software library enabling distributed applications to read and write shared information consistently with zero latency, using Semantic Web technology and CRDTs (Conflict-Free Replicated Data Types).
Apr 19, 2023
- Nostr (⭐8.4k) - A decentralized social network with a chance of working. A simple, open protocol that enables a truly censorship-resistant and global social network (https://nostr.com/)
Mar 06, 2023
- Manyverse: A social network off the grid. Scuttlebutt for mobile.
Feb 17, 2023
- Databag (⭐255): Self-hosted lightweight federated messenger for the decentralized web. Lightweight, public-private key based identity, end-to-end encryption.
Jan 31, 2023
- Meshenger (⭐437): Voice/Video Android phone App that works on the local LAN and does not need Internet access/servers/accounts.
- Qaul: Internet independent wireless mesh communication App. Uses interlinked P2P mesh via BLE, Wifi & Internet-overlay.
Jan 13, 2023
- DB3 Network (⭐283): Decentralized Firebase Firestore Alternative
Dec 11, 2022
- FileLove (⭐45): Minimal p2p file transfer right in the browser, using WebTorrent.
Oct 07, 2022
- FilePizza ☠️ (⭐4.1k): Free peer-to-peer file transfers in your browser.
Apr 27, 2022
- SocialHome (⭐341): Federated personal profile with social networking functionality. Users can create rich content using Markdown and even HTML/JS/CSS. All content can be pinned to the user profile and all content will federate to contacts in the federated social web.
- Steemit: Blockchain-based social media platform where anyone can earn rewards.
- Ticktack ☠ (⭐56): Decentralized social platform for people to share knowledge and exchange value, with P2P messaging encrypted feature. Built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB).
Jan 18, 2022
- Galacteek: Browser and dapps platform for the distributed web.
Jan 15, 2022
- ipfs-pinner (⭐47): A toolkit helps upload files to IPFS pinning services such as Infura, Pinata, NFT.Storage and Web3.Storage.
Oct 22, 2021
- Deltachat: Delta Chat is like Telegram or Whatsapp but without the tracking or central control. It doesn't have their own servers but uses the most massive and diverse open messaging system ever: the existing e-mail server network. Chat with anyone if you know their e-mail address, no need for them to install DeltaChat, all you need is a standard e-mail account.
- Solid: Solid was created by the inventor of the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Solid is a specification that lets people store their data securely in decentralized data stores called Pods. Pods are like secure personal web servers for your data. For developer resources, see Developer Resources. For a listing of some Solid applications, see Solid Applications.
Oct 14, 2021
- Retroshare: Encrypted connections between you and your friends to create a network of computers, and provides various distributed services on top of it: forums, channels, chat, mail...
Oct 04, 2021
- Agregore (⭐622): A minimalistic web browser that supports multiple peer-to-peer protocols and is extensible with standard WebExtensions.
- airpaste ☠️ (⭐817): A 1-1 network pipe that auto discovers other peers using mdns. Can send text or files.
- Friendica (⭐1.2k): Decentralised communications platform that integrates social communication. Connect effortlessly to a federated communications network of several thousand servers, with more than half a million users. Directly connect to anyone on Friendica, Mastodon, Diaspora, GnuSocial, Pleroma, or Hubzilla, regardless of where each user profile is hosted.
- LF (⭐883): Fully decentralized fully replicated key/value store. Fully decentralized means anyone can run a node without obtaining special permission, and all nodes are effectively equal. Fully replicated means every node stores all data.
- ShareDrop ☠️ (⭐6.6k): Clone of Apple AirDrop service. Allows transferring files directly between devices, without having to upload them to any server first.
- TheDistributedBay ☠️ (⭐28): P2P rewrite of the Open Bay/Pirate Bay. It uses a completely distributed protocol to share entries between numerous nodes. This makes it nearly impossible to take down by seizure of servers. Each node contains a complete copy, and any changes are propagated through the network.
- webcat ☠️ (⭐438): P2P pipe across the web using webrtc that uses Github private/public key for authentication and a signalhub for discovery. Can send text or files.
Oct 03, 2021
- SimpleX chat (⭐3.4k): A decentralized terminal-based chat (a mobile app coming soon) with a focus on users’ privacy. It doesn't use any global user identities (not even random IDs), supports groups and sending files.
Aug 27, 2021
- Hubzilla: General purpose platform for creating interconnected websites featuring a decentralized identity, communications, and permissions framework built using common webserver technology.
Aug 17, 2021
- ipfs-chat (⭐114): Terminal-based, secure chatrooms using IPFS. Works over both LAN and internet (includes NAT traversal). Supports private-messaging and file/directory sharing.
Aug 09, 2021
- Vdo.Ninja (⭐2.2k): 100% free; no downloads; no personal data collection; no sign-in, cutting edge Peer-to-Peer forwarding technology that offers privacy and ultra-low latency
Jul 21, 2021
- Noms ☠️ (⭐7.5k): Versioned, forkable, syncable decentralized database, philosophically descendant from the Git version control system. Nobody is working on this right now.
Jun 23, 2021
- Cryptor (⭐29): Overlay P2P network that values your privacy and anonymity above all else. Packages and some clients included.
Jun 02, 2021
- Pollen (⭐7): A decentralized messaging service that functions without any internet or mesh connection. Written in Python.
May 28, 2021
- Aether (⭐1.2k): P2P ephemeral public communities. Open source, self-governing
- Airshare (⭐613): CLI tool and module for transferring data between 2 machines in a local network, P2P, using Multicast-DNS. Works completely offline.
- Dropub ☠️: Share files for free on the internet. It's like Dropbox meets BitTorrent.
- Friends ☠️ (⭐3.2k): P2P chat powered by the web. This project is alpha quality.
- Hyperpad (⭐196): Peer-to-peer collaborative text editor.
- instant.io (⭐3.3k): Streaming file transfer over WebTorrent (torrents on the web).
- IPFS bin ☠️ (⭐132): Pastebin application for sharing code and text documents to other people.
- IPFS Desktop (⭐5.3k): A native application to run your own IPFS Node.
- iWant ☠️ (⭐290): Commandline tool for searching and downloading files in LAN network, without any central server.
- ORC ☠️: Onion Routed Cloud, a decentralized, anonymous, file storage platform. It uses the Tor network.
- Peertransfer ☠️ (⭐289): Send a file p2p and e2e encrypted using nothing but your browser.
- YaCy: Free distributed search engine, built on principles of P2P networks.
Mar 21, 2021
- Cactus Comments: Federated comment system for the open web built on Matrix.
Mar 14, 2021
- DataToken (⭐17): A decentralized access control system for off-chain data sharing and monetization. Its vision is to make the data flows more transparent, by returning data ownership to its owners while maintaining the computability of data.
Mar 04, 2021
- Hardbin (⭐240): Encrypted pastebin using IPFS.
- ArcBlock: ArcBlock is a decentralized developer platform that simplifies the development of DApps, DLT and Blockchains.
Nov 12, 2020
- Mobilizon: A federated tool that helps you find, create and organise events.
Jul 20, 2020
- Element (formerly Riot): Collaboration client for the web. Chat, VOIP video, file transfer, end-to-end crypto.
- reep.io ☠️: Transfer files directly to another browser, your peer will be able to download the file directly from you.
Mar 26, 2020
- Berty (⭐6.8k): secure peer-to-peer messaging app that works with or without internet access, cellular data or trust in the network.
Feb 20, 2020
- Cabal (⭐797): P2P community offline-first chat platform.
Aug 20, 2019
- Philes: A simple IPFS-powered decentralized notepad app.
Jul 17, 2019
- Jami: Free and universal communication platform which preserves the user's privacy and freedoms. Desktop and mobile apps for text messaging, video and audio calls, file transfer, video conferencing.
Jul 14, 2019
- croc (⭐23k): Easily and securely send files and folders from one computer to another in command line.
- norcal: P2P command-line calendar in Node.js. Can sync, link, embed, and edit offline.
- twtxt (⭐40): Decentralized microblogging platform "for hackers" based on text files. The user is "followed" and "mentioned" by referencing the URL to their twtxt.txt file and a nickname.
Jun 29, 2019
Jun 28, 2019
- Pleroma: Federated social networking server built on open protocols. It is compatible with GNU Social, Mastodon, and many other ActivityPub and OStatus implementations.
Dec 09, 2018
- Mastodon: Social networking, back in your hands. Follow friends, discover new ones. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. A platform that is community-owned and ad-free.
Aug 06, 2018
- Handshake: Decentralized, permissionless naming protocol compatible with DNS where every peer is validating and in charge of managing the root zone with the goal of creating an alternative to existing Certificate Authorities.
- Orion (⭐124): Easy to Use, Inter Planetary File System (IPFS) desktop client.
May 12, 2018
- LCVPN (⭐517): Light decentralized VPN in golang.
- Meshbird (⭐3.5k): Meshbird enables distributed private networking across geographically dispersed datacenters.
May 05, 2018
- NewNode (⭐410): Decentralized Content Distribution Network (dCDN).
Apr 22, 2018
- PeerTube (⭐12k): Video streaming platform using BitTorrent directly in the web browser, with WebTorrent and Angular. Demo server at peertube.cpy.re.
Apr 17, 2018
- AKASHA: A Next-Generation Social Media Network. Powered by the Ethereum world computer. Embedded into the Inter-Planetary File System.
- Patchwork (⭐3.6k): Decentralized messaging and sharing app built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB). Another alternative interface is Patchbay (⭐384).
- Syncthing-GTK (⭐1.2k): GUI for Syncthing - a continuous file synchronization program.
Apr 03, 2018
- OnionShare: Open source tool that lets you securely and anonymously share a file of any size.
Nov 07, 2017
- Open Bazaar: Decentralized network for P2P commerce online - using Bitcoin - that has no fees and no restrictions.
- WebTorrent Desktop: WebTorrent Desktop is for streaming torrents. It connects to both BitTorrent and WebTorrent peers.
Sep 16, 2017
- Blockply: Blockply is a collection of the most interesting & outstanding Blockchain projects.
Sep 14, 2017
- Demonsaw: Secure and anonymous information sharing application that makes security simple and gives you back control of your data.
- Ricochet: Different approach to instant messaging that doesn’t trust anyone in protecting your privacy. It uses the Tor network.
- Tox: Instant messaging application, without central servers. The system is distributed, peer-to-peer, and end-to-end encrypted.
Feb 20, 2017
- Beaker: Experimental browser. It adds new technologies for Peer-to-Peer applications while staying compatible with the rest of the Web.
- CacheP2P (⭐868): highly distributed cache platform based on WebTorrent and runs only in the browser.
- Roll-Call: Free and reliable audio calls for everyone w/ browser P2P.
- Storj: Blockchain-based, end-to-end encrypted, distributed object storage, where only you have access to your data.
Feb 03, 2017
Feb 01, 2017
- Orbit (⭐1.6k): Distributed, serverless, peer-to-peer chat application on IPFS.
Jan 25, 2017
- Bitmessage: P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers.
- I2P: Anonymous network, exposing a simple layer that applications can use to anonymously and securely send messages to each other.
- MaidSafe: Decentralized internet and app infrastructure which rewards users for participating in the network.
- Blockstack: The new decentralized internet. Platform for application development with built in decentralized DNS.
- Cryptosphere: Open-source P2P web application platform for decentralized, privacy-preserving software which keeps users in control of their own content.
- okTurtles: DNSChain = Secure Blockchain Access and BlockchainID = decentralized web login.
Jan 24, 2017
- Dat desktop app (⭐649): Decentralized data tool for distributing data small and large.
- Neocities: Geocities-style websites, but decentralized.
- ZeroNet: Open, free and uncensorable websites, using Bitcoin cryptography and BitTorrent network. Uncensored, no hosting costs, always accessible. communities with auditable moderation and mod elections.