Track Alternative Internet Updates Daily
A collection of interesting new networks and tech aiming at decentralisation (in some form).
🏠 Home · 🔍 Search · 🔥 Feed · 📮 Subscribe · ❤️ Sponsor · 😺 redecentralize/alternative-internet · ⭐ 4.8K · 🏷️ Decentralized Systems
[ Daily / Weekly / Overview ]
Apr 12, 2023
- DMOZ was a multilingual open-content directory of World Wide Web links.
Feb 09, 2023
- Bacalhau is a platform for fast, cost efficient, and secure computation by running jobs where the data is generated and stored. With Bacalhau, you can streamline your existing workflows without the need of extensive rewriting by running arbitrary Docker containers and WebAssembly (wasm) images as tasks. This architecture is also referred to as Compute Over Data (or CoD
Jan 30, 2023
Developer tools and frameworks
- DB3 Network (⭐233) - DB3 Network is an open-source decentralized firebase firestore alternative to build dapps quickly with minimal engineering effort.
Nov 18, 2022
- Berty Messenger is a distributed peer-to-peer messenger app build on IPFS. Apps are available on iOS and Android, desktop applications are currently under development.
- Jami is a free, DHT based peer-to-peer skype-like app, available on most platforms. It's part of the GNU project.
Sep 18, 2022
Cloud and storage
- Arweave is permanent and decentralized storage network.
- Handshake is network for decentralized naming and certificate authority, which purposes replacement to old and centralized DNS system in fully decentralized way.
- Elymus (⭐20) is browser and development stack where decentralization is at first place and which is ready to sacrafice every other good for decentralization.
- Bitcoin by Mobile allows Bitcoin newcomers to quickly and easily purchase small sums of Bitcoin using their mobile phone to fund the purchase.
Jul 04, 2022
Cloud and storage
- Peergos is a peer-to-peer and end-to-end encrypted global filesystem with fine-grained access control. Provides a secure and private space online where you can store, share and view your photos, videos, music and documents. Also includes a calendar, news feed, task lists, chat and email client. Open source licensed. Can be self-hosted.
Collaborative Web Editors
- CodiMD (⭐8.4k) is a collaborative Editor based on Markdown. CodiMD is the free software version of HackMD, pads are shared via URL and provide additional functionality like editing permissions based on login status and a presentation mode (with reaveal.js).
- WikiSuite: While Wikipedia is the broadest unified body of knowledge, WikiSuite is the most comprehensive and integrated Open Source enterprise solution. WikiSuite is especially suited to knowledge-centric organizations and offers most (80%+) of the data and information management features all organizations need. Key components include Virtualmin, Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware (aka TikiWiki), Jitsi Meet, MeshCentral, Syncthing and Manticore Search.
- Skywire (⭐68) is the Skycoin Project's communication primitive (analogous to MPLS, open-flow, TOX, mesh networking, darknet, i2p) that facilitates mesh networking both on traditional internet service provider infrastructure, and on individually owned wifi and radio equipment, allowing for a phased, incentivized approach to decentralization. Skywire Overview | skycoin.net
- Aether Reddit-like communities run on a p2p network that hides your IP.
- GNU social (previously StatusNet) is a continuation of the StatusNet project. It is social communication software for both public and private communications. It is widely supported and has a large userbase. It is already used by the Free Software Foundation.
- Dendrio is a video distribution network that leverages the peer to peer WebRTC protocol to transfer website content between browsers. This allows us to make data downloads faster for users but without any installation requirements. For website owners, we are trivial to set up, and are transparent to existing CDN setups. Our technology is geared towards streaming video and we support a multitude of different video formats and players.
Apr 21, 2022
- Searx is a privacy-respecting, hackable metasearch engine.
Apr 04, 2022
Cloud and storage
- Filebase is the first S3-compatible object storage platform that allows you to store data in a secure, redundant, and performant manner across multiple decentralized storage networks. Its unique storage backend connects to multiple decentralized storage networks, enabling global presence and reliability. Filebase currently supports storage on the IPFS, Sia, Skynet and Storj networks.
Jan 02, 2022
- LibreServer is a small server system which enables you to run your own internet services independently. It includes all of the things you'd expect such as email, chat, VoIP, wikis, blogs, social networks, and more. You can run LibreServer on an old laptop or single board computer. You can also run it on an onion address.
- BipIO is an open source personal content and workflow automation platform. 'Bips' are dynamic named graphs which are cheap to create, can auto-expire, and serve or transform public/private content across multiple protocols.
- Ostel is part of the Open Secure Telephony Network (OSTN) by the Guardian-Project. The goal is promoting free, open protocols, standards and software and to power end-to-end encrypted voice communications on mobile devices and desktop computers. They use standards such as SRTP, ZRTP, and SIP(over TLS). Clients are available for nearly every platform; Now offline
- unSYSTEM is a collective dedicated to creating popular tools that promote privacy, independence, and integrity in contradistinction to those used for mass surveillance and suppression. Software projects include Libbitcoin, SX, and Lorea.
- Avatar is a distributed "operating system for the internet" running inside the web browser. It allows for secure messaging (think email, social networks) and distributed data storage, employing a policy of "privacy and data security by default". Building its own encrypted P2P network, it does not rely upon any central authority. (Appears to be inactive)
- DeadC Create a one-click expiring link (NB: Uses Google Analytics...)
- GitTorrent (⭐4.7k) is a peer-to-peer network of Git repositories being shared over BitTorrent.
- weborganiZm is an Ad-Free NON-indexed network for creating and sharing of the knowledges that follows these principles: Non-Profit, Reproducible, Reinforcing the Digital Commons, Grassroots.
Dec 15, 2021
Developer tools and frameworks
- OrbitDB (⭐7.6k) is a serverless, distributed, peer-to-peer database. OrbitDB uses IPFS as its data storage and IPFS Pubsub to automatically sync databases with peers. It's an eventually consistent database that uses CRDTs for conflict-free database merges making OrbitDB an excellent choice for decentralized apps (dApps), blockchain applications and offline-first web applications.
- Project Meshnet aims to build a sustainable decentralized alternative internet. Used by Hyperboria and built on CJDNS.
- cjdns (⭐5k) - Encrypted networking for regular people. cjdns implements an encrypted IPv6 network using public key cryptography for address allocation and a distributed hash table for routing. This provides near zero-configuration networking without many of the security and robustness issues that regular IPv4 and IPv6 networks have.
- Telehash a new encrypted P2P JSON-based protocol enabling developers to quickly build apps that are distributed and private (see the protocol (⭐485) spec)
Dec 14, 2021
Hosting and media
- LibreWeb is a decentralized and open-source web browser leveraging the IPFS network, using markdown as document source code.
Nov 01, 2021
- Tidepools is being developed within the Red Hook Mesh Network, for addressing local, social incentives for mesh use. An Open Source, Collaborative, Mobile Mapping & Social Hub, Reflecting Community Needs & Culture through Custom Apps, Time-based Maps, & Data Feeds.
Oct 13, 2021
- Yarn.social 🧶 is a decentralized self-hosted social media that has a privacy-first focus. There are no ads, no tracking and no personal information is ever collected or stored. Web and Mobile
Sep 09, 2021
Cryptocurrencies and markets
- LiteCoin is a peer-to-peer Internet currency that enables instant payments to anyone in the world (was based on Bitcoin)
- Solidproject.org Solid is a project lead by Tim Berners Lee that aims to re-decentralize the web. Solid (derived from "social linked data") is a proposed set of conventions and tools for building decentralized Web applications based on Linked Data principles. Solid is modular and extensible. It relies as much as possible on existing W3C standards and protocols. You can find more information also at Inrupt and Solid MIT webpages
- YACY is a peer-to-peer search that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index.
Aug 30, 2021
- The Internet of People community is developing the IoP Stack™ for gatekeeper-free decentralized identity (DID), verifiable claims and a P2P communication and storage network independent of a single underlay network.
Jun 22, 2021
- Tox The goal of this project is to create a configuration free p2p skype replacement.
Jun 02, 2021
- Libertree is free, libre, open-source software which is intended to provide a way for people to create their own social network. Libertree social networks can be free from commercial influence and manifestation, such as behaviour tracking, user profiling, advertising, data mining and analysis, and covert information filtering.
Apr 15, 2021
- FoxQL is a social network that runs on your browser as peer to peer. It does not require any setup or registration. There is no management stuff for checking the content. Users can decide which topics and content will stay in foxql cycle. foxql-core (⭐166)
Apr 08, 2021
Hosting and media
- Gemini Space is heavier than gopher, lighter than the web, will not replace either, strives for maximum power to weight ratio and takes user privacy very seriously. More Resources / Awsome Gemini (⭐743)
Mar 29, 2021
- Affinidi provides building blocks to create portable, interoperable, decentralized identity and verifiable claims and credentials
Mar 25, 2021
Cloud and storage
- Golem Network is an accessible, reliable, open access and censorship-resistant protocol, democratizing access to digital resources and connecting users through a flexible, open-source platform. With Golem Network users can connect with ease and pay each other for sharing their unused resources.
Feb 11, 2021
Cloud and storage
- DAT decentralized file system with live replication
- IPFS is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identities. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. IPFS is an open source project developed by the team at Interplanetary Networks and many contributors from the open source community.
- ownCloud is personal cloud software with a focus on ease of use and syncing, mobile clients and a wide range of applications.
- Perkeep (was Camlistore) is your personal storage system for life. It is an acronym for "Content-Addressable Multi-Layer Indexed Storage" and could be described as "Like git for all content in your life"
- Seafile is a cloud software similar to owncloud, with clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. Server for Linux and Raspberry Pi.
- Sia is the leading decentralized cloud storage platform. No signups, no servers, no trusted third parties. Sia leverages blockchain technology to create a data storage marketplace that is more robust and more affordable than traditional cloud storage providers. Instead of using a centralized provider, peers on Sia rent storage from each other. Sia itself stores only the storage contracts formed between parties, using a Bitcoin-style blockchain.
- Tahoe-LAFS is a Free and Open cloud storage system. It distributes your data across multiple servers. Even if some of the servers fail or are taken over by an attacker, the entire filesystem continues to function correctly, preserving your privacy and security.
- Thali is an open source personal data store that syncs across one or more of your devices, and (selectively, via one or more apps) to one or more more trusted peers. Data store: Couchbase Lite (open source, NoSQL, multi-master sync). Trust model: public key exchange, mutual SSL authentication. Network transport: HTTPS. P2P mechanisms: local/ad-hoc, or Tor (using hidden services).
Cryptocurrencies and markets
- BitCoin is a digital currency, a protocol, and a software that enables it. Decentralized crypto-currency
- Bitsquare Bitsquare is a decentralized bitcoin exchange. It supports national currencies (fiat) with a variety of payment methods as well as alternative cryptocurrencie
- Ethereum is an enhanced cryptocurrency with support for Next-Generation Generalized Smart Contract and Smart Property.
- PeerCoin/PPCoin is the first known cryptocurrency based on an implementation of a combined proof-of-stake/proof-of-work system
Developer tools and frameworks
- Kademlia is a distributed hash table for decentralized peer-to-peer computer networks
- OpenDHT (⭐919) is a lightweight C++11 Distributed Hash Table implementation offering a clean and powerful distributed map API. It is used by Ring, is able to listen to value changes and adds a cryptography layer.
- Shark is an open source framework for building semantic P2P applications in Java. It facilitates building decentralized application based on the notion of ontologies. The name is an acronym for 'Shared Knowledge'.
- cabal is a distributed chat platform built ontop of dat's foundational technologies. It's like IRC except you have backscroll when you join, and there are no servers. There is currently a nodejs library (⭐299), a terminal client (⭐517), a desktop client (⭐784), and an experimental mobile client (⭐147).
- Delta Chat is a free software chat application and ecosystem based on IMAP and SMTP, which leverages end-to-end encryption via autocrypt. It piggybacks on top of the huge, already existing email infrastructure. All you need to get started is an email address. There's a client for Android and clients for iOS and desktop in the works. Follow the development on the GitHub page.
- Meshtastic as an open-source extendable mesh communication and location sharing device. Based on off-the-shelf $30 modules from various vendors, 8 day battery life. Good for skiers, hikers, protestors, finding lost kids, etc...
- PrivMX WebMail is an alternative private mail system with independent, decentralized PKI and support for end-to-end encrypted web forms.
- RetroShare is an open source, decentralised communication platform. It lets you chat and share with friends and family, with a web-of-trust to authenticate peers.
- Scramble is easy-to-use, open source encrypted email. Scramble server has no knowledge of the message contents, since encryption is always performed end-to-end on the clients. Public keys are verified using a fedetared trust model based on multiple independent notaries.
- Starkit is a private cloud plug-n-play secure email server for private communication allowing you the benefits of secure email as soon as you turn it on. Bundled with Web-based interface for anywhere access. Apart from a Secure Mail Server You can use Starkit as your Secure Private Cloud storage to save important documents, photos and videos and access your stuff from anywhere. Requires zero maintenance.
- STEED is a protocol for opportunistic email encryption, featuring automatic key generation and distribution.
- The FNF is the free network foundation: teaching how to build wireless community networks.
- Freifunk is a non-commercial initiative for free decentralised wireless mesh networks. Technically Freifunk firmwares are based on OpenWRT and OLSR or B.A.T.M.A.N.
- Funkfeuer is, just like Freifunk, a non commercial initiative for free wireless mesh networks. Funkfeuer is based in Austria and uses OpenWRT as the firmware for the Routers.
- IPOP (IP-over-P2P) is an open-source user-centric software virtual network allowing end users to define and create their own virtual private networks.
- LibreVPN is a virtual mesh network using tinc plus configuration scripts that even let you build your own mesh VPN. It's also IPv6 enabled.
- Netsukuku is an ad-hoc network system designed to handle massive numbers of nodes with minimal consumption of CPU and memory resources. It can be used to build a world-wide distributed, fault-tolerant, anonymous, and censorship-immune network, fully independent from the Internet.
- NYC Mesh aims to create a free, resilient, stand-alone communication system that serves both for daily use and also for emergencies—be it power outages or internet disruption—running software that helps our community with hyperlocal maps and events.
- OpenNIC Project is an alternative DNS provider that is open and democratic.
- People's Open Network is a community mesh network in Oakland, California.
- ZeroNet enabled decentralized websites using Bitcoin crypto and the BitTorrent network
- Buddycloud is built for people who care about their privacy. We are building the future of social networks. A future founded on openness. A future built using open standards. We are making the future happen now, by building a massively scaled and fully distributed social network. Buddycloud is leading a quiet revolution to replace the closed retweet and like incumbents.
- Diaspora* is a free social network consisting of personal web server that implements a distributed social networking service. Diaspora* is a fun and creative community that puts you in control.
- Iris is a social networking application that stores everything on its users' devices which communicate directly with each other — no corporate gatekeepers needed.
- Mastodon is “the world’s largest free, open-source, decentralized microblogging network.”
- Movim is a decentralized open source social network based on XMPP.
- Patchwork (⭐3.6k) is a distributed social network. It uses crytographic keypairs to create feeds and publish unforgeable entries which can spread across the network. Relay servers optionally aggregate and redistribute the feeds.
- Pleroma is a free, federated social networking server built on open protocols. It is compatible with GNU Social, Mastodon, and many other ActivityPub implementations.
- PPNet (⭐118) is a middleware that can be used to create a social network, either temporarily or permanently for a group of users. Includes mobile client for Android.
- Scuttlebutt gossip based p2p community social media, chess, book reviews, gatherings, ... (code here)
- Synereo is an open source, decentralized social network. It is an attention economy that rewards popular content and participation with crypto-currency. Content is promoted or advertised in a way that fairly rewards the content's creator and those who choose to engage with that content. An automatic and transparent reputation economy assures that you experience content relevant to you. The privacy of your communications and contacts is baked-in to the structure of the network. Synereo is modeled in π-calculus and functionally programmed in Scala.
- Tonika is a (digital) social network, which (by design) restricts direct communication to pairs of users who are friends, possesses many of the security properties (privacy, anonymity, deniability, resilience to denial-of-service attacks, etc.) that human sociaties implement organically in daily life.
- trsst looks and feels like twitter but encrypted and anonymized and decentralized and only you hold the keys. Protocol implementation draft is available on github (⭐174).
- Twister is a secure and fully-decentralized P2P microblogging platform based on concepts and code from Bitcoin and Libtorrent (as described in this whitepaper). Feel free to contribute to its core service (⭐1.4k) or HTML UI (⭐230)!
- Vole is a web-based social network that you use in your browser, without a central server. It's built on the power of Bittorrent, Go and Ember.js. Uses bittorrent sync.
- The Serval Project lets mobile phones make phone calls to each other peer-to-peer without a base station.
- Smallest Federated Wiki innovates in three ways. It shares through federation, composes by refactoring and wraps data with visualization. The project aims to demonstrate that wiki would have been better had it been effectively federated from the beginning, and explore federation policies necessary to sustain an open creative community.
- Bitcloud is an open source distributed cloud storage system and escrow agent based on Tahoe-LAFS that allows publishers to pay storage nodes for storing encrypted data and sharing that data with others. The decentralized nature of Bitcloud allows anyone to publish large amounts of data in a way that is free from censorship, high costs, and proprietary software. The first application for bitcloud will be WeTube (⭐54), a platform for viewing and publishing videos, podcasts, ebooks, music, and other forms of media.
- The Drogulus (WIP) is a programmable peer-to-peer data store. It's an open, federated and decentralised system where the identity of users and provenance of data is ensured by cryptographically signing digital assets.Redecentralise Video interview
- Swarm is a distributed storage platform and content distribution service, a native base layer service of the ethereum web3 stack. It uses the ethereum economy to incentivize P2P storage.
- VirtKick is your self-hosted DigitalOcean. Take cloud back to your computer, home network or a dedicated server. Manage virtual machines, Docker containers and create 1-click apps.
- Bitmarkets (⭐110) a working decentralized marketplace based on bitcoinj and bitmessage.
- Streisand (⭐23k) sets up a new server running L2TP/IPsec, OpenSSH, OpenVPN, Shadowsocks, Stunnel, and a Tor bridge. It also generates custom configuration instructions for all of these services. At the end of the run you are given an HTML file with instructions that can be shared with friends, family members, or fellow activists.
- OTRTalk (⭐49) Is a command line based chat application, uses BitTorrent P2P DHT Network for peer discovery and OTR (Off the Record) for secure messaging.
- Quietnet (⭐2.9k) is a simple chat program using near ultrasonic frequencies. It works without Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and cannot be eavesdropped using conventional network capturing methods.
Jan 19, 2021
- GNU/consensus is a GNU project to coordinate development efforts of free software for social networking. It recommends using the AGPLv3+ license and aims to inform free software developers about interesting projects and perspectives for a decentralized, freedom-respecting, and privacy-respecting online social networking environment. The GNU/consensus promotes convergence towards the use of the extensible GNUnet Social API.
Dec 01, 2020
Collaborative Web Editors
- Etherpad is an open-source online text editor providing collaborative editing in real-time.
Nov 12, 2020
- Mobilizon is a federated tool that helps you find, create and organise events.
Oct 13, 2020
- Younity is a "personal cloud" that lets users share their files between their devices, without uploading them to one centralised server.
May 08, 2020
Cloud and storage
- Skynet is a decentralized CDN and file sharing platform for devs. Skynet is the storage foundation for a Free Internet!
Mar 24, 2020
Cloud and storage
- Cozy is a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete. With Cozy, you manage your web apps like you were on your smartphone. It provides an open market place from where you can install the web app you made yourself (Cozy is a personal PaaS).
Mar 23, 2020
- Apoapse is dedicated to advancing cybersecurity into general use across the business ecosystem. A variety of open-source solutions are offered, such as Apoapse Pro, a self-hosted collaborative messaging platform, or Apoapse Protocol, a secure message and data sharing C++ network library.
Mar 01, 2020
- Fermat.org is an framework for developing Internet of People apps.
Feb 27, 2020
- Kevacoin is a key-value database on blockchain. It can be used as a decentralized database for decentralized applications.
Feb 04, 2020
- git-dit (⭐453) git-dit - the distributed issue tracker for git.
Dec 13, 2019
Hosting and media
- Peertube is a distributed and self-hosted video player and platform that uses WebTorrent and ActivityPub.
- YunoHost is a server operating system aiming to make self-hosting accessible to everyone.
- CloudBank (⭐28) First ever POWWT (Proof of work with time) consensus algorithm crypto currency with python without fee all miners share constant reward between them.
Nov 04, 2019
- Books are a stable, production tested communication protocol suitable for a wide range of information services.
Hosting and media
- AnoNet is a decentralized friend-to-friend network built using VPNs and software BGP routers. anoNet works by making it difficult to learn the identities of others on the network allowing them to anonymously host IPv4 and IPv6 services)
- Funkwhale is a community-driven project that lets you listen and share music and audio within a decentralised, open network.
- Loki net is a privacy network which will allow users to transact and communicate privately over the internet, providing a suite of tools to help maintain the maximum amount of anonymity possible while browsing, transacting and communicating online.
- PJON is an open-source network protocol able to connect devices using most physical layers and media, such as wires (PJDL, Ethernet, Serial and RS485), radio (ASK, FSK, OOK, LoRa or WiFi) and light pulses (PJDLS). It is released in a single portable implementation that can be easily cross-compiled on many systems like ATtiny, ATmega, ESP8266, Teensy, Raspberry Pi, Windows X86, Apple and Android. It is a valid tool to quickly build a network of devices.
- PirateBox is a self-contained mobile communication and file sharing device. Simply turn it on to transform any space into a free and open communications and file sharing network.
- Airlock (⭐42) A decentralized dropbox / mega upload style app. Uses a combination of Ethereum and IPFS to index and list content
- Cactus player Decentralized P2P Music Player - main site has gone, but linking to source in case someone wants to know how it worked.
- ClearSkies (⭐1.4k) is a peer-to-peer file sync program. It is inspired by BitTorrent Sync, but has an open and fully-documented protocol.
- G0Bin (⭐82) is a client side encrypted pastebin written in Go. The server has zero knowledge of pasted data. Data is encrypted/decrypted in the browser using 256 bits AES.
- Grand Decentral Station is a concept for a server OS that enables designers and developers to build beautiful and secure self-hosted applications for everyone.
- OpenBazaar is a decentralized marketplace proof of concept. It is based off of the POC code by the darkmarket team and is now licensed under the MIT license.
- Syme is an experimental project that aims at bringing more privacy and security to online communication through end-to-end encryption. Syme's zero-knowledge key infrastructure enables persistent multiparty communication and secure key exchanges on minimally trusted servers and relays.
- BitPhone is a mobile communications device with the features of a modern smartphone built on top of decentralized BitCoin-style proof-of-work networking.
- Coinpunk is a web application that allows anyone to run their own self-hosted Bitcoin wallet service that is accessible from your web browser anywhere in the world. It's free, open source, and you can install it on your server right now.
- CryptAByte CryptAByte.com is a free online drop box that enables secure (encrypted) message and file sharing over the web using a public-key infrastructure. Messages and files are encrypted using a public key and can only be decrypted using the passphrase entered when your key is created. Your data is never stored in plaintext, and is impossible to decrypt without your passphrase.
- DAppStore is a fully decentralized App store focussing entirely on decentralized software. Primarily to index DApps like Bitcoin, BitTorrent etc, but also indexes projects relating to DApps, wether that be a documentary, software library or coffee shop that supports a particular DApp.
- The Enigmabox is a ready to use cjdns appliance. cjdns is a public-key crypto network protocol, the fingerprint is your IPv6 address. This means, your IP is your identity. So we can use it for various useful things, e.g. as an email address or a phone number. We will start preparing existing internet services like email or VoIP to use cjdns in this decentral manner. Our goal is to encrypt the entire internet, make crypto accessible and make secure and decentralized internet services available for the rest of us.
- Firecloud is a P2P web publishing platform in your using Persona and WebRTC to work its magic.
- Lemon.email is encrypted and decentralized e-mail service. It can be totally decentralized (works as a dApp) or it can work as a mail service that uses IPFS/Ethereum as a storage for previously encrypted emails. The way encryption works is that the passphrase that is used to unlock emails is not saved anywhere and therefore nobody cannot read user’s emails. Also, third party email services cannot read or decrypt lemon emails, because only notification about incoming email is sent to those services and user must go to external link to read private email.
- Lighthouse is a peer to peer crowdfunding app that uses Bitcoin.
- The Refuge Project aims to provide a fully decentralized and opensource data platform. It is built in Erlang and includes RCouch (⭐68), a static distribution of couchdb using rebar, and Coffer (⭐23), a blob server.
- Tavern is a distributed, anonymous, unblockable network designed to ensure that no one is silenced, censored, or cut off from the rest of the world
- Bittubers - is a brand new social network for content creators and streamers. Developed by BitTube, BitTubers emphasizes free speech, fairness and unrestricted monetization across the board. This platform is the successor to bit.tube, launched in mid 2018, building upon its original peer-to-peer fundamentals with greatly improved monetization options, discoverability, interactivity and engagement features.
- D.Tube is the first crypto-decentralized video platform, built on top of the STEEM Blockchain and the IPFS peer-to-peer network."
Oct 22, 2019
- git-bug (⭐7.7k) is a distributed, offline-first bug tracker embedded in git.
Oct 18, 2019
- PeerLinks is a MIT licensed distributed group messaging platform with a focus on building trust networks between people and explicit invites to the channels. At the moment there is a nodejs library (⭐197), Desktop Client (⭐197).
Oct 14, 2019
- Beaker Browser an experimental browser for exploring the p2p web.
Oct 04, 2019
Cloud and storage
- Nextcloud is a selfhosted, federated alternative to Google Docs/Office365 et all. It syncs and lets you share files but it's over 200 community-contributed apps add chat and audio/video calls, calendar/contact, mail, maps, Tasks, collaborative document editing, Kanban board, password manager, bookmarks, audio player and many more. It is easy to install and manage (as far as servers go...) and extremely secure.
Sep 15, 2019
- Nymote is a set of tools and software infrastructure, created from the ground up, to provide end-users with life-long control of their networks and personal data. It starts with fundamental infrastructure to solve the problems around operating systems for the future, identity for users and devices and data-persistence across those devices. Think of it as the toolstack to recapture the original vision of a resilient, decentralised Internet.
- Nightweb connects your Android device or PC to an anonymous, peer-to-peer social network. You can write posts and share photos, and your followers will retrieve them using BitTorrent running over the I2P anonymous network. It is still experimental.
- INDX is a decentralised Web-based Personal Data Store and app platform from the SOCIAM EPSRC project in the UK, focused about giving individuals autonomy to effectively consolidate their cloud data into personal databases they control. The platform is build out of a core of robust open source tools, including Postgres, Twisted, NodeJS, and AngularJS. The platform is released under GPLv3 on Github.
Dec 12, 2018
- Project Byzantium - Ad-hoc wireless mesh networking for the zombie apocalypse. The goal of Project Byzantium is to develop a communication system by which users can connect to each other and share information in the absence of convenient access to the Internet. This is done by setting up an ad-hoc wireless mesh network that offers services which replace popular websites often used for this purpose, such as Twitter and IRC.
Nov 23, 2018
- Yggdrasil is an early-stage implementation of a fully end-to-end encrypted IPv6 network. It is lightweight, self-arranging, supported on multiple platforms and allows pretty much any IPv6-capable application to communicate securely with other Yggdrasil nodes. Yggdrasil does not require you to have IPv6 Internet connectivity - it also works over IPv4.
- Corda.net is an open source blockchain platform to record, manage and synchronise agreements and transfer value. It was designed for business from the start. It is promoted and supported by the Cordite Foundation
- Cowbox is a hand-held standalone server, broadcasting its own network and containing web applications for coworking.
Nov 22, 2018
- DAOStack is a community merit-based governance system and a new form of human association: the DAO. Decentralized Autonomous Organizations are open, self-organized networks coordinated by crypto-economic incentives and self-executing code. We believe that DAOs will impact every territory of life and will jumpstart the evolution of society toward a more cooperative and sustainable future.
Nov 13, 2018
- aenigma (⭐174): the | state-of-the-art | secure-by-default | one-touch-deployed | XMPP server for everyone. It does for XMPP what Mail-in-a-Box has done for email, Streisand for VPNs, and Easyengine for wordpress. The installation takes you on a 15 minute, clearly worded, step-by-step setup and takes care of everything automagically.
Nov 11, 2018
- Manyverse an implementation of scuttlebutt for mobile devices (android) - carry your social network with you, no internet required
Nov 06, 2018
- The Decentralized Library of Alexandria is an open-source standard in active development to allow users to publish and distribute original content themselves, from music to videos to feature films, 3d printable inventions, recipes, books and just about anything else.
Oct 30, 2018
Cloud and storage
- BitDust - is decentralized, secure and anonymous on-line storage, where only the owner has access and absolute control over its data. BitDust project is aimed to protect users freedom and provide an alternative way to operate and communicate in the network.
- AKASHA AKASHA is a next-generation social media network immune to censorship by design. It is built on top of Ethereum using Smart Contracts and IPFS.
- UBOSbox Nextcloud is a ready-to-use home server appliance that does a lot of what Dropbox and Google Calendar do, but locally on hardware controlled by the user. It enables multi-user, multi-device file sharing, group calendaring, contact management, and includes a web mail client, an RSS/news reader, a note-taking app, text and video calls, and task management, provided by the FLOSS web application platform Nextcloud and a number of Nextcloud apps. It is designed to be used as a home server without attached keyboard or monitor.
Oct 03, 2018
Collaborative Web Editors
- Cryptpad is an open-source online collaborative editor providing collaborative editing in real-time. It features rich text, pictures, code, and kanban editors. Cryptpad applies the zero knowledge paradigm, whereby only clients see the plain text while servers see only crypted content which they are not able to decrypt.
- Kune is based on Apache Wave and is a free/open source distributed social network focused on collaboration rather than just on communication. That is, it focuses on online real-time collaborative editing, decentralized social networking and web publishing, while focusing on workgroups rather than just on individuals.
Aug 06, 2018
- LibreMesh includes the development of several tools used for deploying libre/free mesh networks. The firmware (the main piece) allows simple deployment of auto-configurable, yet versatile, multi-radio mesh networks.
Jul 17, 2018
Cloud and storage
- Cloudron is a platform to run apps on your server. It includes 1-Click app install, automatic backups, updates, Single Sign-On, DNS setup, SSL provisioning and a secure firewall.
- The BriarProject is building secure communication tools to enable journalists, activists and civil society groups to communicate safely without fear of government interference. Our open source mobile and desktop apps will provide a secure, easy-to-use alternative to email, blogs and message boards, where users can exchange private messages with their contacts, create their own blogs and message boards, and subscribe to blogs and boards their contacts have shared
Jan 16, 2018
- BitMessage is a P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers. It is decentralized and trustless, meaning that you need-not inherently trust any entities like root certificate authorities. See whitepaper.
- Cables communication implements secure and anonymous communication using email-like addresses, pioneered in Liberté Linux. Cables communication is Liberté's pivotal component for enabling anyone to communicate safely and covertly in hostile environments.
- Mailpile is free software, a web-mail program that you run on your own computer, so your data stays under your control. Because it is free software (a.k.a. open source), you can look under the hood and see how it works, or even modify it to make it better suit your particular needs. Mailpile is designed for speed and vast amounts of e-mail, it is flexible and themeable and has support for strong encryption built in from the very start.
- Matrix is an open standard for decentralised communication, providing simple HTTP APIs and open source reference implementations for securely distributing and persisting JSON over an open federation of servers. You can use Matrix for any project where you need a common data fabric to link together fragmented silos of communication.
- Aktie (⭐20) A decentralized and anonymous forum and file sharing app for I2P.
- Askemos creates an "autonomous virtual execution environment for applications" - designed to be tamper-proof and fault tolerant. Users share not only static files but dynamic objects too. Code is taken as equivalent to contracts ("smart contracts") and hosts check each others compliance.
- BaseParadigm is an open source (GPLv3) library for managing a content addressable binary semantic graph. Content addressability means enabling a number of dataexchange protocols (including p2p) for a developer using BaseParadigm.
- BitTorrent Sync by BitTorrent Labs. Easy and effortless file replication between computers (and mobile devices) without using the cloud, so the only limit is available storage. All data transfers are encrypted. Works on Windows, Linux, OSX, Android and iOS. Recently they've opened up their API to developers.
- bitlove-ui Bitlove creates Torrents for all enclosures of an RSS/ATOM feed and seeds them for podcasts.
- Commotion Wireless is an open-source communication tool that uses mobile phones, computers, and other wireless devices to create decentralized mesh networks.
- The Cryptosphere is a global peer-to-peer cryptosystem for publishing and securely distributing both data and HTML5/JS applications pseudonymously with no central point of failure. It's built on top of the next-generation Networking and Cryptography (NaCl) library and the Git data model. Code (⭐1.2k)
- DNSChain (⭐1.7k) aims to fix web security by Man-in-the-Middle proofing connections. It's a secure, decentralized PKI (public key infrastructure) that makes blockchain tech (like Namecoin, Blockstore, etc.) usable for arbitrary devices.
- Firestr (⭐347) is a simple decentralized communication and computation platform. Apps are written in Lua and are pushed to peers where they automatically run and connect. All communication is P2P and encrypted.
- Freedom Box is about privacy, control, ease of use and dehierarchicalization. Inspired by Eben Moglen's vision of a small, cheap and simple computer that serves freedom in the home. We are building a Debian based platform for distributed applications.
- Freenet is free software which lets you anonymously share files, browse and publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and chat on forums, without fear of censorship. Freenet is decentralised to make it less vulnerable to attack, and if used in "darknet" mode, where users only connect to their friends, is very difficult to detect.
- Friendica (⭐1.2k) is a decentralised network which focuses on federation of social networking sites and projects into a common stream.
- GNUnet is GNU's framework for secure peer-to-peer networking that does not use any centralized or otherwise trusted services.
- GUN (⭐17k) is an open source, real-time, fully decentralized, offline-first, graph database that is also simple to setup and use for web development.
- Grimwire is a browser OS which uses Web Workers for process isolation, and WebRTC for peer-to-peer communication.
- Guifi is a european (especially from Catalonia, Spain) large network with over 22000 active nodes. Uses wifi in both infrastructure and mesh mode. Over 25km of fiber as well so far.
- The Hubzilla is a decentralised identity and communications platform which provides internet-wide single-sign-on with nomadic identity, internet-wide access control, communications, content management and personal cloud storage.
- Hyperboria is a global decentralized network of "nodes" running cjdns software. The goal of Hyperboria is to provide an alternative to the internet with the principles of security, scalability and decentralization at the core. Anyone can participate in the network by locating a peer that is already connected.
- I2P is an anonymizing network, offering a simple layer that identity-sensitive applications can use to securely communicate. All data is wrapped with several layers of encryption, and the network is both distributed and dynamic, with no trusted parties.
- KA Lite (⭐456) is an open-source, lightweight, pure-Python web server and web app for serving Khan Academy content (videos and exercises) -- including progress tracking, coach reports, and gamification -- without needing persistent internet connectivity.
- KadNode (⭐390) delegates DNS requests (*.p2p) from any application and tries to resolve it using the BitTorrent Mainline DHT. Own addresses can be announced and combined with public/secret keys. KadNode can be used as a decentralized DynDNS system, but also covers many other use cases.
- Keybits makes it easy to run your own personal server. Setup and maintenance is made simple by using Docker and Ansible. (Similar to Sovereign but using Docker to 'containerize' applications.)
- Known is a simple way to share your story with a variety of media, from any device. Aligned with the indie web movement, Known sites can be installed on your own server, and each one will operate as a node in a global social network, together with other indie web platforms. Known is fully extensible and supports microblogging, photos, articles, events, location check-ins and bookmarks out of the box. It is a responsive web platform that works on anything with a web browser.
- LibraryBox is an open source, portable digital file distribution tool based on inexpensive hardware that enables delivery of educational, healthcare, and other vital information to individuals off the grid.
- MORPHiS is a global encrypted distributed datastore intended to replace the cloud for storage and far more. Free open source peer-to-peer high-performance distributed datastore.
- The MaidSafe network is a fully distributed platform on which application developers can build distributed applications. The network is made up by individual users who contribute storage, computing power and bandwidth to what is a global, public cloud.
- MediaCrush is free software (as in freedom and as in beer) for hosting media on the web. It's designed from the ground up to protect users' privacy and it losslessly compresses media whenever possible. It supports more than 500 formats of images, video and audio. If ffmpeg accepts it, MediaCrush can process it. It also converts GIFs to HTML5 video.
- GNU MediaGoblin (also shortened to MediaGoblin or GMG) is a free, decentralized Web platform (server software) for hosting and sharing digital media, aimed at providing an extensible, adaptive, and freedom-respectful software alternative to major media publishing services such as Flickr, deviantArt, YouTube, etc.-- Wikipedia
- MettaNode (⭐26) is a tool for fully decentralized communications - grab data you like and store it forever, share data with your friends, start chats, voice or video calls, form groups by interest, transparently keep all your notes between all of your devices; all based on a simple ideas of UIA. It is still in its infancy and only base transport protocol is done, work is now going on on overlay routing network. Final target is to have a bunch of clients for desktop and mobile platforms (Win, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS) as well as own operating system implementation (Metta (⭐69)) running together.
- Mixmaster is a remailer network. It represents the second generation of remailers. Mixmaster can be used via a web sites like Anonymouse or as a stand-alone client.
- Mixminion is a new remailer approach. The so-called type III remailer allows it to receive and send anonymous messages. However the development has stalled and the current software needs improvement.
- NameCoin is a decentralized naming system based on Bitcoin technology.
- 1TY is "One Time Self Destructing Links For Sharing Sensitive Information"
- OpenLibernet is a project to create a robust decentralized global mesh communication network that regards security and privacy as a priority and makes internet regulation and censorship impossible. OpenLibernet is built around a robust payment system based on Bitcoin that rewards its users for actively joining, expanding and maintaining the network, and creates a traffic economy with perpetually decreasing prices.
- Ori is a distributed file system built for offline operation and empowers the user with control over synchronization operations and conflict resolution. It provides history through light weight snapshots and allows users to verify the history has not been tampered with. Through the use of replication instances it is resilient and can recover damaged data from other nodes.
- Osiris is software for decentralized portal, managed and shared via P2P between members.
- PageKite is a dynamic reverse proxy designed to allow hosting of live (web-)servers on devices that are mobile, stuck behind strict firewalls or otherwise lack public IPs.
- PeerCDN automatically serves a site's static resources (images, videos, and file downloads) over a peer-to-peer network made up of the visitors currently on the site.
- PeerServer is a peer-to-peer client server using WebRTC, where your browser acts as a server for other browsers across WebRTC peer-to-peer data channels.
- Peerm Anonymous P2P inside browsers, no installation, encrypted and secure. The browsers are talking the Tor protocol extended to P2P and are connecting to the nodes using WebSockets, multi-sources and streaming are supported. The final goal is to build a complete serverless P2P where anonymizer nodes are inside the browsers too relaying the traffic, using WebRTC.
- Phantom is (was?) a system for generic, decentralized, unstoppable internet anonymity
- Piwik is the leading open web analytics platform currently used by individuals, companies and governments all over the world. With Piwik, your data will always be yours. Piwik is an alternative to Google Universal Analytics.
- Psyced is a scalable multi-protocol multi-casting chat, messaging and social server solution to build decentralized chat networks upon, released as open source.
- Quick mesh project is an openwrt based mesh networking firmware. Can be installed on any openwrt supported system. Auto configures any needed connections, auto detects internet connections and aunounces them. Native IPv6 support with IPv4 tunnels for current networking support.
- Samizdat is a self-replicating LiveCD which creates an IPSec VPN between each newly-created LiveCD node and the system that created it. It is thus "rhizomal" in the sense of Serval, but its objectives are more like those of arkOS: each node runs peer-to-peer services intended to replace the centralized services of github, skype, facebook, gmail, etc.. Samizdat provides strong cryptography for authentication of users over the network, and full disk encryption for installed systems, providing novice users fully-automated (zero-learning-curve) access to high-grade security. Samizdat's installer does not ask any questions of the user except where to install. The goal of Samizdat is to provide the benefits of public key cryptography to users who do not even understand what public key cryptography is.(Samizdat is also -- incidentally -- a generic framework for creating and managing LiveCD images for other purposes, such as managing multiple systems on a LAN, or system backup.)Send mail to [email protected] (public mailing list) or [email protected] (private email of project founder) for more information.
- Sandstorm.io is a personal cloud platform that makes it easy to run web apps on your own server. Apps are installed through an app-store-like web interface. Every app runs in a separate secure sandbox.
- Serf is a decentralized solution for service discovery and orchestration that is lightweight, highly available, and fault tolerant.
- SlapOS is a decentralized Cloud Computing technology. It can automate the deployment and configuration of applications in a heterogeneous environment, either in datacenters or self-hosted. SlapOS is a Free Software (GPL).
- Sneer is a free and open source sovereign computing platform. It runs on your Windows, Mac or Linux machine (like Skype or Firefox) using the Java VM. It enables you to create your personal cluster by sharing hardware resources (CPU, disk space, network bandwidth) with your friends, host your own social network, information and media, create sovereign applications and share them with others, download and run sovereign applications created by others.You can do all these things directly with your peers, in an autonomous, sovereign way, without depending on online service providers such as email providers, Google, Facebook, etc.
- SocietyOfMind (⭐38) is a complete information model to make a p2p network and 3-d visualization layer that can scale to billions, re-make the Internet, and form a meta-mind for the planet. For the full scope of the project and philosophy see the wiki.
- Sovereign (⭐10k) is a set of Ansible playbooks that you can use to build and maintain your own personal cloud. It’s based entirely on open source software, so you’re in control.
- Sparkleshare is a self-hosted file sync service, similar to Dropbox and based on Git.
- SubToMe is a universal follow button. It decouples the publishing platform and the subscribing platform so that it's as easy to follow someone's RSS/Atom feed than it is to follow them on Twitter or Google+!
- SyncNet is a decentralized web browser built on top of BitTorrent Sync and (soon) Colored Coins for name resolution. Every time you access a site, you store all of its contents on your machine. The next user to request the site can get the contents from both your machine and the original server. As more people access a page, it becomes available from more machines, reducing the load on the original server.
- Syncthing replaces Dropbox and BitTorrent Sync with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.
- Syndie is an open source system for operating distributed forums offering a secure and consistent interface to various anonymous and non-anonymous content networks.
- Tent is a protocol that puts users back in control. Users should control the data they create, choose who can access it, and change service providers without losing their social graph.Tent is a protocol, not a platform. Like email, anyone can build Tent apps or host Tent servers, all Tent servers can talk to each other, and there is no central authority to restrict users or developers.
- Dyne's Tomb the crypto-undertaker is free software for easy encryption and backup of personal files, written in a single ZShell script that is easy to review and links commonly shared components (such as cryptsetup), unlike TrueCrypt. Tomb implements and encourages OPSEC best-practice, and comes with bind and execution hooks, steganography of keys and fast search over filenames and contents, and a graphical user interface.
- Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location.
- Tribler (⭐4.2k) Aims to create a censorship-free Internet. Already deployed, used and incrementally improved for 8-years. Tribler uses an upcoming IETF Internet Standard for video streaming and is backward compatible with Bittorrent. Future aim is using smartphones to even bypass Internet kill switches. An early proof-of-principle Tribler-mobile is available on the Android Market. Key principle: 'the only way to take it down is to take The Internet down'. Overview paper.
- Trovebox is an open source photo sharing webapp (like Instagram), which you can self-host. iOS and Android apps also open source. Uses cloud or local storage for the actual photos. Originally known as OpenPhoto; see also theopenphotoproject.org.
- TrueCrypt Free open source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP/Mac OSX/ & Linux. Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive. Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication). Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent. Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted. Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors. Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password: Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system. More information on documentation page
- UBOS is a new Linux distro for personal servers and IoT devices. Installing and maintaining web applications tends to take a lot of time; UBOS aims to make this much simpler.
- Unhosted - also known as "serverless", "client-side", or "static" web apps, unhosted web apps do not send your user data to their server. Either you connect your own server at runtime, or your data stays within the browser.
- Urbit - an operating function, from Mars.
- Village Telco is a an easy-to-use, scalable, standards-based, wireless, local, DIY, telephone company toolkit. Their mission is to making voice and data communication affordable and accessible to anyone.
- Wave is a distributed, near-real-time, rich collaboration platform that allows users to work together in new and exciting ways. Wave allows for flexible modes of communication, blending chat, email and collaborative document editing in to one seamless environment.
- Webfist is a fallback for when providers don't support WebFinger natively. It lets you do WebFinger lookups for email addresses even if the owner of the domain name isn't playing along. WebFist works because of a judo move on an existing infrastructure: DKIM.
- Webmentions are an interesting method of notify another site that a comment /post on your own site is written in response to a post on their site. The site receiving the webmention notification can then verify the request and gather the message adding into a conversation flow in their post.This project (⭐40) is working on a unified API.
- Yaler is a simple, open and scalable relay infrastructure for secure Web and SSH access to embedded systems located behind a firewall, NAT or mobile network router.
- Zero Bin is an open source alternative for pastebin with burn-after-read function & client side encryption. Source code is also available on github https://github.com/sametmax/0bin (⭐1.3k)
- ZeroTier One is an open source application that creates huge distributed Ethernet networks. It makes use of supernodes, but these run the same code as ordinary nodes and end-to-end encryption protects all unicast traffic. Semi-commercial with a freemium model.
- arkOS is an operating system and software stack to easily host your own websites, email addresses, cloud services and more. It uses a graphical interface (called Genesis) to do all of this, with a focus on end-user experience and simple design. Presently in active development, it is currently functional on the Raspberry Pi with new services and platforms in the works.
- dn42 is a big dynamic VPN network, which employs Internet technologies (BGP, whois database, DNS, etc). Participants connect to each other using network tunnels (GRE, OpenVPN, Tinc, IPsec), and exchange routes thanks to the Border Gateway Protocol. Network addresses are assigned in the 172.22.0.0/15 range, and private AS numbers are used: see registry. See the About page for more information.
- eDonkey network is a decentralized, mostly server-based, peer-to-peer file sharing network best suited to share big files among users, and to provide long term availability of files
- The ePlug is a tiny circuit board that resides inside of 'ePlug Certified' electrical outlets. Decentralized Meshnet, distributed computing, 6 gig WiFi. ISP's, CDN's and racks of servers, switches and wire no longer needed.
- edgenet is a peer-to-peer opportunistic network built over mobile devices (and potentially home routers). It is a concept, with many layers already build (ZeroMQ, Zyre). It uses temporary 'cells' to connect devices and exchange information opportunistically. It's suited to decentralized chat and proximity networking.
- gitsync (⭐53) is a git repository synchronisation and discovery tool. Its goal is to allow developers to coordinate without a central master repository.
- pubsubhubbub is a simple, open, server-to-server webhook-based pubsub (publish/subscribe) protocol for any web accessible resources.
- pump.io Described as "a stream server that does most of what people really want from a social network". It's a social stream with support for federated comunication.
- qaul.net (⭐277) implements a redundant, open communication principle, in which wireless-enabled computers and mobile devices can directly form a spontaneous network. Chat functions, file sharing and voice chat is possible independent of internet and cellular networks.
- Storj is an open source project actively developing a completely decentralized, secure and efficient cloud storage service that integrates a peer-to-peer protocols based on Bitcoin.
- wlan slovenija is developing technologies for easy deployment of community wireless mesh networks. The main idea is that power is in numbers so deployment should be so easy that anybody can do it, that anybody can start a new wireless mesh network and create a new community.